Below is an incomplete list of Masonic authors, writers who have written intimately about Freemasonry and a list of their notable works. Authors who have had interviews on Freemason Information are linked accordingly. Missed an author, or a favorite masonic book? Let us know in the comments at the bottom. If you’re a book publisher with a work about Freemasonry, contact us here to let us know.
We encourage you, in your journey into Freemasonry, to explore the many written works about the fraternity to broaden your understanding of the symbols, history and meaning of the Masonic tradition.
Masonic Authors and their Work
- The Temple and the Lodge. New York: Arcade Publishing, (1989) with Richard Leigh
- Trial of the Templars, The (1978)
- New Knighthood, The (1995)
- The Question of Freemasonry and the Founding Fathers (2005)
- Isaac Newton’s Freemasonry: The Alchemy of Science and Mysticism (2007) with Ariel Godwin
Bullock, Steven C.*
- Revolutionary Brotherhood: Freemasonry and the Transformation of the American Social Order, 1730-1840 (1996)
- Symbols of Freemasonry
- Island Freemasonry (2017)
Blight, Reynold E.
- Freemasonry at a Glance: Answers to 555 Questions (2011)
- Handbook of Freemasonry (Brill Handbooks on Contemporary Religion) (2014) with Jan A. M. Snoek
- Freemasonry in the Twenty-First Century (1995)
Brunelle, David L.
- The Renaissance of Freemasonry: The Revival of Speculative Masonry in Modern America (2012)
- The Freethinking Freemason – Collected Masonic Works (2007)
You can follow the work of Tim Bryce as he explores Freemasonry on the Edge.
Buck, J. D.
- Symbolism of Mystic Masonry (1896)
Bullock, Steven C.
- Revolutionary Brotherhood: Freemasonry and the Transformation of the American Social Order, 1730-1840 (1998)
Case, Paul Foster
- The Masonic Letter G
Case’s profound argument on the origin and meaning behind the Masonic use of the letter G in the East and in the Square and Compass.
- Freemason at Work, The (1976)
- World of Freemasonry (1984)
- The Arcana of Freemasonry: A History of Masonic Symbolism (2008)
- The Golden Builders: Alchemists, Rosicrucians, and the First Freemasons (2005)
- The Magus of Freemasonry: The Mysterious Life of Elias Ashmole–Scientist, Alchemist, and Founder of the Royal Society (2006)
- Freemasonry – The Reality (2007)
- The Invisible History of the Rosicrucians: The World’s Most Mysterious Secret Society (2009)
- The Mysteries of John the Baptist: His Legacy in Gnosticism, Paganism, and Freemasonry (2012)
Claudy, Carl H.
Raised to a Master Mason in 1908, at Harmony Lodge No. 17 in Washington, DC, Carl H. Claudy Â served as the Master and eventually as Grand Master of Masons in 1943. He served as the executive secretary of the Masonic Service Association in 1929 holding the position until his death in 1957 claiming authorship of nearly 350 Short Talk Bulletins.
The MSANA says of the plays:
[The plays] are not merely a means by which a lodge may entertain, but attempt to satisfy a desire to understand the inner content of Freemasonry. They accomplish this purpose by drawing asideÂ the veils of ritual, allegory and symbol that the truth behind may shine through.
More on Carl H. Claudy
Coil, Henry Wilson
- Coil’s Masonic Encyclopedia (1961)
- Comprehensive View of Freemasonry, A (1973)
- Freemasonry Through Six Centuries (1966)
Cooper, Robert L.D.
- Rosslyn Hoax? The (2006)
- Cracking the Freemasons Code (2007)
Crowe, Frederick J. W.
- The Concise History Of Freemasonry (2013) with Robert Freke Gould
- Nobly Born (2007)
- Morgan: The Scandal That Shook Freemasonry (2014) with Arturo de Hoyos
- Compasses and the Cross (2008)
Unholy Worship? The Myth of the Baphomet, Templar,
- Freemason Connection (i998)
- Everything I Needed to know about Freemasonry (2004)
Sauniere Society Syposium Lecture Notes (1999)
Davis, Robert G.
- The Mason’s Words: The History and Evolution of the American Masonic Ritual (2013)
De Hoyos, Arturo
- Cloud of Prejudice: A Study in Anti-Masonry (1992)
- Freemasonry in Context: History, Ritual, Controversy (2004); with: Brent Morris, Alain Bernheim and C Lance Brockman
- Symbolism of the Blue Degrees of Freemasonry: Albert Pike’s Esoterika (2005)
- Committed to the Flames: The History and Rituals of a Secret Masonic Rite (2007)
- Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide (2008)
- Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry? (Revised 2010)
- Freemasonry’s Royal Secret – The Francine Manuscript (2014)
Read an interview with Arturo De Hoyos: Esoterica, anti-Masonry and the Scottish Rite with Grand Archivist and Historian Arturo de Hoyos
Denslow, William R.
- 10,000 Famous Freemasons (1957)
Duncan, Malcolm C.
- Duncan’s Ritual of Freemasonry (1976)
- William Preston and His Work (1987)
- The Character Claims and Practical Workings of Freemasonry (2016)
Fox, William L.
- Lodge of the Double Headed Eagle: Two Centuries of Scottish Rite Freemasonry in America’s Southern Jurisdiction (1997)
- Valley of the Craftsmen, A Pictorial History: Scottish Rite Freemasonry in America’s Southern Jurisdiction, 1801-2001 (2001)
- Millennial Apprentices: The Next Revolution In Freemasonry (2015)
Gest, Kevin L.
- Freemasonry Decoded: Rebuilding the Royal Arch (2014)
- World Freemasonry: An Illustrated History (1991) written with Hamill
- Freemasonry: A Celebration of the Craft (1992) written with Hamill
Gould, Robert Freke
- History of Freemasonry, The (1882)
- A Concise History of Freemasonry. London: Gale & Polden, Ltd., (1903)
- Workman Unashamed (1989)
Haggard, Forrest D.
- Clergy and the Craft (1970)
Hall, Manly P.
- Lost Keys of Freemasonry
- The Secret Teachings of All Ages (1928)
- Freemasonry of the Ancient Egyptians
- Masonic Orders of Fraternity
- Rosicrucian and Masonic Origins
- Freemasons and Rosicrucians – The Enlightened
Read a biography on Manly Palmer Hall: Manly P. Hall – Freemason and Philosopher
Halleran, Michael A.
- The Better Angels of Our Nature: Freemasonry in the American Civil War (2010)
- Early Masonic Catechisms, The (1953) written with Jones and Knoop
- World Freemasonry: An Illustrated History (1991) written with Gilbert
- Freemasonry: A Celebration of the Craft (1992) written with Gilbert
- Builders of Empire: Freemasons and British Imperialism, 1717-1927. (2007)
While not an expose on the secrets of the ancient fraternity, it is a well paced analysis of its most formative period of growth across the globe.
In this podcast, from 2008, we delve into the subject matter with Professor Jessica Harlan-Jacobs who is the author of Builders of Empire: Freemasons and British Imperialism, 1717-1927.
- The Transformation of Freemasonry (2010)
- Genesis of Freemasonry (2014)
- The Freemasons: Unlocking the 1000-Year-Old Mysteries of the Brotherhood: The Masonic Rituals, Codes, Signs and Symbols Explained with Over 200 Photographs and Illustrations (2016)
- Prince Hall Freemasonry: The Secret Within (2014)
Heaton, Ronald E.
- Masonic Membership of the Founding Fathers (1965)
- Freemasonry Universal: A New Guide to the Masonic World, Volume 1: The Americas (1998) by with Tony Pope
- Freemasonry Universal: A New Guide to the Masonic World, Volume 2: Africa, Europe, Asia & Oceania (2000) with Tony Pope
- The Initiatic Experience: That Led To Your Initiation Into Freemasonry (2012)
Hinks, Peter P.
- All Men Free and Brethren: Essays on the History of African American Freemasonry (2013) with Stephen Kantrowitz
- Freemasons For Dummies (2013)
- Solomon’s Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C. (2006)
- Conspiracy Theories and Secret Societies For Dummies (2008)
- The Templar Code For Dummies (2007)
- Deciphering the Lost Symbol: Freemasons, Myths and the Mysteries of Washington, D.C. (2009)
- Freemasons For Dummies – 2nd Edition (2012)
You can listen to an interview with the author of Freemasons for Dummies on the Masonic Central Podcast from 2009.
- The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual (2007)
- The 32 Secret Paths of Solomon: A New Examination of The Qabbalah In Freemasonry (2012)
- Entering the Chain of Union (2012)
- Novo Clavis Esoterika (2016)
- The Way of the Templar (2015)
- Templar Inferno: Knights of Rebellion (2013)
- Templars: The Rise, Fall & Survival of the Knights Templar (2013)
- Freemasonry: The Lost Secrets (2013)
- Origin of the Templars: And Origin of the Vatican’s Power (2017)
Homer, Michael W.
- Joseph’s Temples: The Dynamic Relationship between Freemasonry and Mormonism (2014)
- Living the Enlightenment: Freemasonry and Politics in Eighteenth Century Europe (1991)
- The Radical Enlightenment – Pantheists, Freemasons and Republicans (2006)
- The Origins of Freemasonry: Facts and Fictions (2007)
Jeffers, H. Paul
- Freemasons: A History and Exploration of the World’s Oldest Secret Society (2005)
Jones, Bernard E.
- Freemason’s Guide and Compendium (1950)
- Early Masonic Catechisms, The (1953) written with Knoop and Hamer
- 101 Secrets of the Freemasons: The Truth Behind the World’s Most Mysterious Society (2009) with John K Young
Keghel, Alain de
- American Freemasonry: Its Revolutionary History and Challenging Future (2017)
Read American Freemasonry – the Noble Goal, an interview with author Alain de Keghel.
- Haunted Chambers: The Lives of Early Women (2009)
- On Holy Ground: A History of The Honorable Order of American Co-Masonry (2011)
Read more about Karen Kidd and her work.
Listen to a Masonic Central podcast interview with Karen Kidd from 2008.
- The Inner West (2004)
- Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions (2006)
- The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry (2009)
Knight, G. Norman
- Pocket History of Freemasonry (1953) with Fred L. Pick
- The Medieval Mason: An Economic History of English Stone Building in the later Middle Ages and Early Modern Times (1933) with G. P. Jones
- The London mason in the seventeenth century (1935) with G. P. Jones
- A Short History of Freemasonry to 1730 (1940) with G. P. Jones
- The Early Masonic Catechisms (1943) with Douglas Hamer and Harry Carr (Editors)
Kolko-Rivera, Mark E., Ph.D.
- Freemasonry: An Introduction (2011)
Listen to a podcast interview with Mark Kolko-Kivera from 2008 on Masonis Central:
Kurcab, Michael J.
- The Working Tools of Leadership: Applying the Teachings of Freemasonry (2015) with Michael Clevenger
Leadbeater, C. W.
- Freemasonry and its Ancient Mystic Rites (1926)
Lester, Ralph P.
- Look to the East: A Ritual of the First Three Degrees of Freemasonry (2007)
- The Hiram Key – Pharaohs, Freemasons And The Discovery Of The Secret Scrolls Of Jesus (1998) with Christopher Knight
- The Second Messiah: Templars, the Turin Shroud and the Great Secret of Freemasonry (1998) with Christopher Knight
- The Invisible College: The Royal Society, Freemasonry and the Birth of Modern Science (2003)
- Freemasonry And The Birth Of Modern Science (2004)
- The Book of Hiram: Freemasonry, Venus and the Secret Key to the Life of Jesus with Christopher Knight
- Turning the Hiram Key: Rituals of Freemasonry Revealed (2005) with Colin Wilson
- The Secrets of Freemasonry (2006)
- The Secret Science of Masonic Initiation (2010) with Mark Booth
- The Secret Power of Masonic Symbols: The Influence of Ancient Symbols on the Pivotal Moments in History (2011)
- Turning The Templar Key – Part 1: The True Origin of Freemasonry (2012)
- A Miscellany of Masonic Essays (1995-2012) (The Masonic Essays of Robert Lomas (2012)
- Freemasonry For Beginners (2017) with Sarah Becan
Lund, Robert V.
- The Hidden Code in Freemasonry: Finding Light through esoteric interpretation of Masonic Ritual (2016)
Read an interview with Robert Lund on his book The Hidden Code in Freemasonry: Finding Light through esoteric interpretation of Masonic Ritual
- Royal Masonic Cyclopaedia (1877)
Mackey, Albert Gallatin
- A Lexicon of Freemasonry; Containing a Definition of All Its Communicable Terms, Notices of Its History, Traditions, and Antiquities, and an Account. 2nd ed., (1852)
- The Principles of Masonic Law, (1856)
- The Mystic Tie (1867)
- A Manual of the Lodge: Or, Monitorial Instructions in the Degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and Master Mason, Arranged in Accordance with the American System of Lectures, to Which Are Added the Ceremonies of the Order of Past Master, Relating to Installations, Dedications, Consecrations, Laying of Corner Stones, Etc., (1870)
- Book of the Chapter or Monitorial Instructions in the Degrees of Mark, Past and Most Excellent Master of the Royal Arch, (1870)
- An Encyclopedia of Freemasonry and Its Kindred Sciences, Vols I and II (New and Revised Edition) , (1873; reprinted in 1878)
- The Symbolism of Freemasonry, (1882)
- The History of Freemasonry: Its Legends and Traditions, with William R. Singleton, (1906)
- Masonry defined : a liberal masonic education ; information every mason should have, compiled from the writings of Dr. Albert G. Mackey and many other eminent authorities. 3rd ed, (1925)
- An Encyclopedia of Freemasonry and its Kindred Sciences : comprising the whole range of arts, sciences and literature as connected with the institution (1927)
Read a short biography on Albert Gallatin Mackey.
MacNulty, W. Kirk
- Freemasonry: A Journey Through Ritual and Symbol (1991)
- Freemasonry: Symbols, Secrets, Significance (2006)
Listen to an interview with W. Kirk MacNulty on Masonic Central from 2008.
- Dictionary of Freemasonry, A (ca. 1890)
- Freemasonry: A History (2005)
- Freemasonry (Illustrated Histories) (2015)
Morris, S. Brent
- Complete Idiot’s Guide to Freemasonry, The (2006)
- Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry? (Revised 2010)
Listen to the Masonic Central podcast with guest Brent Morris from 2008.
- The Secrets Of Freemasonry (2008)
- The Square and the Circle: The Influences of Freemasonry on Wicca and Paganism (2016)
- Building Hiram – Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 1 (2009)
- Building Boaz – Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 2 (2009)
- Building Athens – Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 3 (2010)
- Building Janus – Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 4 (2011)
- Building Perpends – Uncommon Aphorisms for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 5 (2011)
- Building Rufffish – Uncommon Field Guide for Uncommon Masonic Education – Volume 6 (2013)
- Building Cement – Unommonly Concrete Masonic Educations – Volume 7 (2013)
- Building Free Men – Uncommonly Freeing Masonic Education – Volume 8 (2014)
- The Craft Unmasked – The Uncommon Origin of Freemasonry and its Practice (2014)
- A Brother Asks Volume 1 – Uncommon Discourses about Hiram 2018
- The Craft Perfected! Actualizing Our Craft 2019
Listen to an interview with John Nagy on the Masonic Central Podcast:
- The Secret History of Freemasonry: Its Origins and Connection to the Knights Templar (2005)
Newton, Joseph Fort
- Builders, The (1914)
- Alchemically Stoned: The Psychedelic Secret of Freemasonry (2017)
- Freemasonry: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (2018)
- Secret Architecture of Our Nation’s Capitol, The (2002)
- Knights Templar and Their Myth, The (1990)
- The Occult World (2014)
- Freemasonry: The Study of a Phenomenon (1997)
- Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Freemasonry
- Morals and Dogma of the First Three Degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Freemasonry
- The Point Within the Circle
- Reprints of Old Rituals
- The Magnum Opus
Picknett, Lynn and Clive Prince*
- The Templar Revelation. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997
Poll, Michael R.
- Masonic Enlightenment: The Philosophy, History and Wisdom of Freemasonry (2006)
- The Grand Orient Of Louisiana: A Short History And Catechism Of A Lost French Rite Masonic Body (2008)
- Ancient Manuscripts of the Freemasons: The Transformation from Operative to Speculative Freemasonry (2009)
- What A Mason Should Know (2015) with Hal Riviere
- Robert’s Rules of Order: Masonic Edition (2014)
- Masonic Words and Phrases (2014)
- Seeking Light: The Esoteric Heart of Freemasonry (2015)
- Lodge Cooking (2016)
- Measured Expectations: The Challenges of Today’s Freemasonry (2017)
Pollard, Stewart M.L.
- Tied to Masonic Apron Strings (1969)
- Freemasonry Universal: A New Guide to the Masonic World (2000) with Henderson
- The Secret Psychology of Freemasonry: Alchemy, Gnosis, and the Science of the Craft (2011) with R. Gregory Starr
- Native American Freemasonry: Associationalism and Performance in America (2011)
Pound, Roscoe, LL.D.
- Lectures on the Philosophy of Freemasonry
- Illustrations Of Masonry
- A Study in American Freemasonry (2016)
- Tracing Boards of the Three Degrees in Craft Freemasonry Explained (2015)
- Black Freemasonry: From Prince Hall to the Giants of Jazz (2016)
- The Freemasons: A History of the World’s Most Powerful Secret Society (2001)
Roberts, Allen E.
- Sword and Trowel (1964)
- Key to Freemasonry’s Growth (1969)
- The Craft and Its Symbols (1975)
- G. Washington: Master Mason (1976)
- Frontier Cornerstone (1980)
- Freemasonry in American History (1985)
- Brother Truman (1985)
- The Mystic Tie (1991)
- Masonic Lifeline (1992)
- Masonic Trivia and Facts (1994)
- House Undivided (1996)
- House Reunited (1996)
Robinson, John J.
- Born In Blood (1989)
- Dungeon, Fire and Sword: The Knights Templar in the Crusades (1992)
- A Pilgrim’s Path (1993)
- Ronayne’s Handbook Of Freemasonry: With Appendix (2014)
- Know Thyself: Using the Symbols of Freemasonry to Improve Your Life (2016)
Smith, Dwight L.
- Whither Are We Traveling? (1962)
- Learning Masonic Ritual: The Simple, Systematic and Successful Way to Master the Work (2013)
Smith, Thomas Webb
- Webb’s Freemason’s Monitor (1865)
- Freemasonry: Rituals, Symbols & History of the Secret Society (2007) with Lon Milo DuQuette
Steiner, Dr Rudolf
- The Temple Legend: Freemasonry and Related Occult Movements from the Contents of the Esoteric School (2014)
- Unmasking Freemasonry – Removing the Hoodwink (2007)
- Origins of Freemasonry: Scotland’s Century, The (1990)
Stewart, Gregory B.
- What is Freemasonry? E-Book (2009)
- Masonic Traveler (2010)
- The Apprentice: The World and the Universe as One (2014)
- Fellow of the Craft: By Wisdom a House is Built (2015)
- The Master Mason: The Reason of Being (2017)
Read more on publisher and author Gregory B. Stewart.
Sullivan IV, Robert
- Cinema Symbolism (2014)
- The Royal Arch of Enoch: The Impact of Masonic Ritual, Philosophy, and Symbolism, Second Edition (2016)
- inema Symbolism: A Guide to Esoteric Imagery in Popular Movies, Second EditionM (2017)
- Cinema Symbolism 2: More Esoteric Imagery in Popular Movies (2017)
Read an interview with Robert Sullivan IV from 2014.
- American Freemasons: Three Centuries of Building Communities (2006)
Uzzel, Robert L.
- Prince Hall Freemasonry in the Lone Star State (2004)
Vaughn, William Preston
- Anti Masonic Party in the United States 1826-1843, The (1983)
Waite, Arthur Edward
- New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry, A (1921)
Walkes, Joseph A.
- Black Square and Compass (1981)
- Prince Hall Masonic Quiz Book, A (1997)
Ward, John Sebastian Marlowe
- Freemasonry and The Ancient Gods (1921)
- An Interpretation Of Our Masonic Symbols (1924)
- Who Was Hiram Abiff? (1925)
- An Explanation of The Royal Arch Degree (1925)
- The Hung Society, or, The Society of Heaven and Earth (1925-1926) with W.G. Stirling) Three volumes
- Told Through The Ages: A Series Of Masonic Stories (1926)
- The Moral Teachings of Freemasonry, Incorporating Masonic Proverbs, Poems and Sayings (1926)
Well, Roy A.
- Rise and Development of Organized Freemasonry, The (1986)
West, Dr David J.
- Managing the Future of Freemasonry: The Book of Optimism (2015)
White, Kirk C.
- Operative Freemasonry: A Manual for Restoring Light and Vitality to the Fraternity (2012)
Wilmshurst, W. L.
- Meaning of Masonry, The (1922)
- Masonic Initiation
- Robert Burns and Freemasonry (2013) by Joseph Fort Newton
- Lectures Of The Ancient And Primitive Rite Of Freemasonry
- The Arcane Schools: A Review of Their Origin and Antiquity; with a General History of Freemasonry, and Its Relation to the Theosophic, Scientific, and Philosophic Mysteries
- Masonic Charges and Lectures
- The Secret High Degree Rituals of the Masonic Rite of Memphis