This came from the internet from some time back. It has a more magical bend but could probably apply to any “esoteric” or “secret society.”
If there are other tell-tale signs that you think are missing, drop them in the comments blow.
10 signs that an occult/esoteric group leader has lost his focus.
- The leadership starts to think that they, and their group, are actually important.
- The leader starts to claim that they are the re-incarnation of a famous leaders and/or occultists.
- Their leadership takes a lot of drugs or start drinking.
- The leadership decides to pack in their day job and live off their students of their Order.
- Leaders start claiming authority from Secret Chiefs or Invisible beings. (or I’ll add a Moral Law).
- They ask you to give you all their money or want to shag you or your partner to assist your spiritual path.
- They start to become incredibly paranoid.
- They feel the need to attack other orders, personalities and systems.
- The leadership lose any sense of humor.
- The leadership starts to believe their own bullshit.
The list gets into each point and makes for a fun read correlating them to one particular group or another. And, I suppose, you could equate the list to any group: religious, social, fraternal, etc.
The best advice is that you should you find yourself following such a person or group – “trust in the universe that you will find new teachers.”